Marketing on Pinterest: How to “Properly Pinterest”

Pinterest-strategy

 

As we already know, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn harbor the main bulk of social media business marketing. However, other social media sites, like Instagram and Pinterest, focus mainly on the visual aspect of marketing, providing something other social media sites might be lacking.

Pinterest is a social bookmarking site that allows for the creation of different “boards,” or main topics, on your page, which categorize different topics your business is interested in. Within these boards are “pins,” any online article, picture, or link about that certain main topic that you “pin” to a specific “board.” Easy, right?

Pinterest has most commonly been referred to as a place for future brides to plan their weddings, do-it-yourself crafts, and fashion inspiration. However, the female demographic domination is slowly changing, with one-third of all Pinterest sign-ups coming from men. Pinterest’s platform dynamic has also changed, with more and more businesses using Pinterest as a marketing tool.

One reason for this is that there is greater audience reach on Pinterest. The likelihood of a business’s post reaching a non-follower is greater than other social media sites, because a person does not have to be following your brand for your pin to appear on their Pinterest homepage. In addition, the half-life (the time in which a post receives  50% of all clicks and views from a reader) of a Pinterest post is three and a half months, compared to Facebook’s 90 minutes, meaning a post on Pinterest has a much longer shelf-life than Facebook.

Pinterest may or may not be part of your marketing strategy currently, but if you would like to add interactive visuals and organization to your social media marketing plan, Pinterest is the way to go.

Here are some tips to help you properly Pinterest:

  1. Create inviting boards
    • In order to make people want to click on your boards, you must create boards that are refreshing and interesting. No more than 20% of your boards should be about your brand, including products, sales, and profiles. The other 80% of your boards should be motivational and inspirational, as well as educational or informational.
  2. Organize your Pinboard
    • Make sure that your pins coincide with your boards, and that each board is a broad enough subject that you can pin a lot of resources to the subject.
  3. Engage with other pinners and boards
    • Re-pinning and sharing pins from others is a great way to build your brand. You can also tag other pinners that you are following in your pins. Both of these things will help draw an audience back to your business’s Pinterest page.
  4. Share on other platforms
    • Your Pinterest account will most likely not have as many followers as your Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. Generate a larger following by promoting and linking your Pinterest account with your other social media profiles. You can also link to pins in your blog posts to generate more traffic, like I just did here.

 

Follow the iBoomerang Pinterest for further inspiration!

 

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *