There is no doubt that a blog is beneficial to a small business owner. A blog allows you to shed light on topics that you have knowledge about, particularly your business, which your current/future customers can read, relate to, ask questions about, and share.
Most importantly, a blog can help draw traffic back to your website (for free) if you have an online business. In fact, HubSpot states that marketers that use blogs receive 67% more leads than those that do not. However, blogs that do not follow healthy SEO practices will have a harder time drawing people in.
So, what should you be doing to make sure your blog is being read?
Simply having a blog doesn’t generate traffic to your blog.
Some tactics to get your blog circulated include:
- Share your blog on social media
- Make an email list to distribute new blog posts
Although these tactics work, one of the most powerful tactics is:
Search Engine Optimization:
- Install a SEO plug-in.
- If you use WordPress for your blogging, there are plenty of plug-ins that will practically guide you through everything you need for a nice SEO set-up. My personal favorite is WordPress SEO by Yoast, which helps you pick successful keywords and metatags.
- Speaking of keywords…
- Do keyword research. Invest your time in understanding which keywords drive the most traffic. Never assume which keyword is the best, but rather do the research to see which popular keywords are working for popular blogs.
- Try not to over generalize your keyword or keyword phrases. If you sell health insurance in Ohio, don’t simply put “health insurance,” but instead add localized words like “OH health insurance” or “health insurance in Ohio.”
- Pick one keyword and make sure it is found in these three places on your blog post:
- Article title
- The first sentence of your article
- In your post URL (also called the permalink)
For more general SEO tips, check out these tips and resources.